But that’s not really true. Protein is as much important in females as it is in males. Due to its inherent characteristics proteins is an important part of one’s diet who frequently works out. With the increased awareness a lot of women have also started including proteins as a part of their diet to ensure that their body is fuelled for the workout. In this article let us understand why proteins are so important and what are women is looking for with their protein.
Importance of protein in developing muscles and getting a leaner body.
Proteins act as a fuel for the muscles. Hence the more you train and do endurance work out the more is the proteins required by your body. This is because resistance training rapidly breaks down our muscle protein. Earlier women used to resist proteins as it was hugely marketed as a male drink which used to come in macho looking tubs with bodybuilders on its face. However, with increased education women have started understanding that good nutrition is equally important and protein is a major part of the good and healthy diet.
What is Protein?
Protein is a nutrition element that is built up of amino acids. They are necessary as they aid in building lean muscles, strong hair and nails, good skin etc. Muscles can be seen as big chunks of water and protein. When one gets thirsty one drinks water. Similarly, proteins act as fuel for muscles. So when muscles get thirsty it is important to feed them with proteins. So if you don’t supply the body with sufficient proteins, the muscles will shrink and it will give the fats a chance to build up as the body becomes less efficient at burning calories. This protein is a popular supplement for the people who are looking forward to losing weight, gain muscles and improve their performance. Protein aids women in getting strong and not just skinny.
Various types of proteins.
- Whey Protein – This is one of the most popular proteins that has been derived from milk supplements and contains all the 9 essential amino acids. It is hugely promoted for weight loss and muscle building as well as reducing hunger. However this not advisable to people who are allergic to dairy or are on the vegan diet.
- Pea protein – This is the favourite protein for vegans who are averse to animal protein. This protein can help women to increase their metabolism and thereby lose weight. Pea Protein can suppress the hunger for a longer time than Whey Protein.
- Collagen – This a comparatively newer type of protein which not only delivers a powerful punch of protein but also aids in reducing joint pain.
- Egg White Protein – This is one of the best natural sources of protein which can be consumed by eating. It is also a complete protein as it contains all the essential amino acids required by our body.
- Hemp Protein – This is an excellent plant-based protein. It is a good source of Omega 3 as well as Omega 6 in the ratio of 3:1.
- Collagen – This a comparatively newer type of protein which not only delivers a powerful punch ofprotein but also aids in reducing joint pain.
- Brown Rice Protein – This is another form of vegan-friendly protein supplement. Women who are allergic to dairy as well as averse to animal-based proteins Brown rice protein is the best alternative. This is easy to digest and therefore a great choice for women who are looking to gain muscle and increase in their strength.
- Mixed Plant Based Protein – Plant protein is not considered as a wholesome protein as they do not provide all the required amino acids. However mixed plant protein, which is a mixture of various plant- based proteins such as pea protein, brown rice protein, Hemp, Chia seeds, Flax seed, pumpkin seeds etc bridges the gap and is a wholesome protein.
Points to be considered while choosing the protein supplement.
- Choose the supplement with fewer ingredients - This is the best way to avoid artificial colours and other additives of which not much knowledge is available.
- Avoid taking high sugar supplements – Many companies, in order to make their product tasty add artificial sweeteners such as fructose and corn syrup. Look forward to buying a product that uses natural and no-calorie sweeteners such as stevia or monk fruit or contains sugar which is less than 4g per serving.
- Check if you really need one – Before purchasing any protein first decide to take your diet into consideration whether it really lacks protein. Though there is nothing wrong in protein supplement one must not overdo it.
Women use proteins for numerous reasons including stimulating weight loss, growth in muscles, as well as speedy recovery after a workout. However, it is important that the protein supplement is chosen judiciously taking into consideration one’s diet preference as well as allergens.